Friday, March 23, 2007

Weekend Retreat

I am going away on a women's cancer retreat this weekend. I struggled for a long time about whether or not to go. On the one hand, I have heard from many, many people how powerful support groups can be in helping cancer patients to deal with the roller-coaster of, well, cancer. And so, from that perspective, I am looking forward to meeting other women who are facing similar situations and emotions and to learn from their approaches and attitudes.

But on the other hand, I struggle with the idea of calling myself a "cancer patient", and when you go on a "cancer retreat" that is pretty much what you are! I don't want to be know as "the cancer mom." I don't want this cancer to define who I am. Before my diagnosis, I thought of myself (right or wrong! ha!) as a hip, cool, young-looking mom who worked out a lot and was smart and laid-back and great at marketing. I don't want this new label of cancer. As Pete likes to joke with me, "It doesn't fit with the Julie Wheelan brand." Ha, ha!

But my hesitation goes further than that. I am afraid that the other women at the retreat will look like cancer patients. And that is scary to me. When I read the Lance Armstrong book, It's Not About The Bike, one of the things that he talks about is how most cancers don't make people look different. The image that most of us have in our minds of a "cancer patient" is actually caused by the cancer treatment, not the cancer itself. I am early on in my treatment, and while the doctors reassure me that I will not experience many of the typical side-effects of other, stronger chemo protocols (such as hair loss or weight loss), I still don't know what to expect. And so I am afraid that seeing other women who are farther along in their treatment will be unnerving.

And to be honest, I am also afraid of whether these women will be strong or weak. I have no interest in being around cancer patients who do not have a will to fight and live. In fact, quite the opposite -- I really need to be surrounded by positive, fighting, take-charge people, because I am motivated by their energy. Will I leave the retreat feeling energized and more prepared than ever to beat the Bitch? Or will I feel sapped of my determination and saddened by what lies ahead for me?

And lastly, I will miss my family. Like I mentioned in an earlier blog, I already feel like I don't have enough time in the day to spend with my kids and with the other people whom I love. And so making the decision to actively leave them is incredibly difficult and one that I hope I do not regret.

And so, here I go...I am off to pack. I leave in a couple hours and will be gone until Sunday evening, and so you won't hear from me until then -- unless of course, I bail out of the retreat early and come home again with open arms to embrace those I love, which I have left open to myself as an option. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think cancer warriors are the most beautiful people on the planet. (except maybe angel children...). Take a good hard look into one of these women's eyes, you may see one with the mist of fear, you may see another with the tenacity and grit of an army of thousands; you could see another with the caring of a saint and yet another with the vulnerablity of a baby. One thing you will see in each and ever one, humanity. Take a long hard look into their eyes...and you will see it...raw beauty.

Hair is just a silly ornament. I remember once when I was in the store, I had lost my hair and I had decided to stop wearing my scarves and hats. (I never did like the wig) A woman I knew in a distant way, came up and said "Good for you, you shaved your head. Isn't it freeing!" After I thought about that I answered, yes your right it is very freeing.
You give up quite a few things when you battle cancer. One of the things you give up is vanity. Vanity focuses on the external. When you learn when you have cancer, the external starts to become pretty darn unimportant. What really defines you is what is inside. You are not your hair, or your illness or the outfit you bought at Macys. You are love, faith, spirit. You recognize all these things much better without hair. Yup freeing....

Jacquie & Linda said...

Dear Julie,

We just found out yesterday about your cancer. Sometimes not so good news travels slow. We talked with your Mom tonight and just want you to know we are sending all the positive energy we have to you.

We hope your retreat was rejuvenating. We will write more soon.

Much love, Larry and Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Tamwitch seems to be an amazing woman!

Julie, one thing that I have learned is that any one or anything that takes your spark from you, even if they do not mean to, is mud on a butterfly's wings and needs to be removed. Some permanently, some temporarily. Over the next few months, your inside beauty will be so apparent to all you touch. I am aware of the thoughts and feeling that I provoke and invoke when I walk into a room of friends and strangers, but to this day, even with countable strands of hair, I still do not think I look like a VICTIM of cancer, but rather a woman who is living with cancer! Be free, and please, for me, be proud of all your amazing hair and your amazing beauty!