Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Port-a-Cath

I go in for minor, outpatient surgery tomorrow to have a catheter implanted into my chest just below my shoulder. It is through this "port-a-cath" that all of the chemo drugs will be administered. We learned yesterday that for the next 6 weeks (starting Monday) I will be on a continuous flow of chemo, which means that I will have a small pump that I have to carry around with me everywhere (it's about the size of a Walkman) that will pump chemo drugs into my body through this port-a-cath 24/7. The main purpose of this initial round of chemo is to help the radiation work better. One person explained this to us by saying that radiation breaks up the cell structure of fast-growing cells (like cancer cells) and the chemo keeps the cell from rebuilding itself. The bummer is that I will have the port-a-cath for a really long time (until at least Christmas, I am guessing) since it will be used again after the surgery when I will again have chemo. This second round of chemo, though, will be more "systemic", which means that it is intended to sweep any remaining stray cancer cells out of my body so that they don't try to set up camp. I keep visualizing a dustpan and broom strolling around my body gathering up any unwanted cancer cells -- I never would have guessed that the thought of housecleaning would be so comforting to me!

So I am definitely a bit freaked out about the idea of this surgery tomorrow, but I just keep reminding myself that I'll never make it back up to the top of my mountain unless I actually start climbing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to do great!

Jeremy said...

Julie, you should not be freaked out. It's the Bitch who should be freaking out. Just imagine-- she has no idea, but she is enjoying her last few lovely peaceful days. She is kicking back, lounging-- and tomorrow she's going to hear a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK somewhere up around the vicinity of your chest. She'll look up, and say, "Hey, what the fuck is that?!?" and before she can figure it out she'll get the chemo splashed all over her eyes and then the radiation smashing into her face like a fist and then she'll start to wither just like the witch in the Wizard of Oz: "I'm melting!!! MMMMMEEELLLLTING!!!!" and you will say, "What's the problem, Bitch? You can dish it out but you can't take it? Get up and get some more of this."

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, I get my port on Monday....do you wanna go get matching tatoos!!!!

Truly, in my heart, and my bones I KNOW you are going to do amazing. I will email you some hints, but know in this insatnce all of the power lies with God and you.

Nigel Van Mandalay-Bay, Esq. III said...

all I can add is that you and Pete look so strong, so great this morning. You 2 and Shadow were definitely enjoying our beautiful surroundings, Miwok, the sun. Way to go! Try not to let the bitch cause you to forget what's important!

For the record, I barely made it past the blueberry pie at the Depot on my ride today. :) Just managed to keep going up Railroad -David