Friday, March 23, 2007

My "Old Soul"

Do you ever look at your children and wonder whether they are more "tuned in" to the Universe than we as adults are? Every once in awhile, Luke will make a comment that is so incredibly profound and out-of-character for a 5-year-old that Pete and I are left standing there shaking our head in amazement and wondering whether there really is something to the idea of an "old soul."

A couple days ago, when I was gently trying to explain to Luke that I am going away this weekend on a cancer retreat for women, he looked at me and simply stated, "But Mommy, you don't have cancer."

"Yes, I do, Luke." I replied gently. "Remember, Mommy and Daddy talked with you about the fact that Mommy has a tumor growing in her colon that isn't supposed to be there? And that it's called cancer?"

"No, Mommy. You don't. You don't have cancer. It's not cancer." he replied. The matter-of-fact tone to his voice completely caught me off-guard. He didn't say it in a joking way or in a pleading way. Rather, he made the comment, completely straight-faced and matter-of-fact, in the same manner that you or I might say, "It's Friday, not Thursday."

Okay, I am probably just twisting things around in my head -- what some might refer to as "wishful thinking" -- or more likely, this is just denial on Luke's part, but I prefer to think that Luke is really just an "old soul" and that he is on to something that my Ivy League-trained doctors haven't yet figured out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There IS something to be said of the pure faith and trust of a pre-scool child. My Anna (4) will tell me regularly that after two more medicines (chemo) I will not have cancer. Each time she reminds me I send up a prayer that she is simply delivering the message and it is my job to believ in it!