Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rough Night

I had a really rough night last night. It was the first night that I did not take pain killers to numb the pain from my surgery and so I found myself tossing and turning all night and I woke up numerous times feeling quite uncomfortable. Then, shortly before dawn, I had a absolutely terrifying dream. In my dream, I had died. I was able to look around and see everyone around me but no one could see me. I could tell that Pete could sense that I was still there because he would look in my direction every time he spoke about me, but I knew that he could not see me. Eventually he and I realized that we could communicate with each other by writing on a paper pad that he was carrying. So on the pad, I quickly wrote in large capital letters "I LOVE YOU!" And then I wrote "I cannot believe that I am dead. I cannot believe that my life is all over so soon." And I remember feeling completely in shock that I had died and being so incredibly consumed by grief and sadness that my life was over. Even now, I cry thinking about the dream because it was so surreal and so overwhelming. Needless to say, I woke up a complete wreck -- the moment I saw Pete I burst into tears and cried uncontrollably.

Later in the morning, when I shared my story with my friend, Isae, she confided that she also had terrible dreams when she was on chemo medication. Her theory is that the body knows it's fighting a life/death battle and that it is being poisoned by the chemo and this knowledge manifests itself in our dreams. I think that this is probably true, since I am a firm believer that dreams are simply your mind's way of working through issues and feelings that it cannot (for whatever reason) deal with during the day.

I re-read the "Why Me?" entry that I posted a couple days ago and realized that I am probably conveying a message to everyone reading this blog that I am completely poised and in control and feeling incredibly strong about my situation. And I definitely have moments like this, but I would be doing a disservice to myself and to anyone battling cancer to pretend that this is how I feel every moment of every day. The reality is that I am scared to death. All of the "changes" that I wrote about in my "Why Me?" entry are things that I truly feel compelled to make -- and some of them I have already started to affect -- but there is one that I don't even know how to begin to tackle: the one regarding "contemplating the meaning of life and the meaning of death so that you develop a sense of peace in your heart about what 'life' really means." Receiving a cancer diagnosis rocked me to the very core; it completely threw off my equilibrium and has made me question everything I thought was real and true about my senses, my body, my intelligence...everything! When I first heard the word "cancer", I was in a complete state of shock for probably a week. The news forced me to look directly in the face of my own mortality, and I fully admit that as soon as I could collect my wits, I turned around and bolted in the opposite direction as fast as I could. I do not want to look into the face of death. I do not want to think about dying -- it is too overwhelming to me! I have been incredibly blessed in my life....I have an amazing husband, wonderful friends, an incredible family and two of the most amazing and beautiful children that I think have ever existed on this earth. And I fought so, so, sooo incredibly hard to bring my two beautiful children into this world...it is overwhelming to me to think that this could all be over before I even get to fully enjoy their unique and quirky personalities or soak in all the wonderful things that make them who they are. But I know that I must face the reality of death. Any good therapist will tell you that just because you don't actively think about something that is scary, doesn't mean that the scary thoughts do not exist inside you. And the thoughts will find their way out somehow -- either through dreams (as was my case last night), or through depression, or through illness, or through tears.

The problem is that I am not really sure where to begin. I haven't quite figured out yet how one willingly stares into the face of death while at the same time remaining positive and optimistic about the final outcome. These seem to be mutually exclusive to me, but hopefully I am wrong. I guess this is my work in the coming weeks and months...this is what I must do in order to develop a sense of "peace in my heart about what life really means." If anyone reading this blog has thoughts to share or advice to give on this subject, I am all ears!

5 comments:

carol duster said...

Precious Julie, not my words, but some of my favorites: John Lennon: Life is what happens while your are making plans and of course, the beautiful poem footprints in the sand:
One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along
the beach with the Lord.

Across the dark sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene, he noticed
two sets of footprints in the sand,
one belonging to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the
very lowest and saddest times in his life.
This bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life there is
only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most
you would leave me."

The Lord replied "My precious, precious child,
I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints in the sand,
it was then that I carried you."

Anonymous said...

Julie,
We all are dying. Every one of us. For some of us we face this battle not once, not twice but many times in our lives. Death will come when it will come. Facing the reality of the eventuality of death isn't easy if you are 4 or 90.

I remember having dreams too, when I was a little kid. I would wake up (funny enough every Sunday) like clockwork in a sweat. I was being murdered. I would wake up in stark terror. My parents would come to me and try and calm me down. I had these nightmares for years. I am 53 years old now and have survived cervical and breast cancer. I saw my mother die when she was 49. I know that death is there, and life is fleeting. I refuse to let the idea of death get in the way of living. Truthfully, I believe it’s up to each one of us to fight to keep life as long as I can. Some of us need to fight longer and harder than others. That is our way of showing God how much we treasure the gift we’ve been given.

When I battled cancer I was very adept at putting the battle in front of me day in and day out, one task at a time. The concept of dying was not in my mind at all -the fight was. The day that faced me was all I could focus on and I think that helped me immensely. You are very brave to be able to write about what you are dealing with. I couldn't write more than anonymous queries on online bulletin boards. And I didn't talk about how I was feeling, I asked abotu treatments and other "useful" things. I didn't go to therapy, I didn't talk about my fears...I forged ahead. For me looking to deep into death’s eyes felt like I was giving that dark place a power I wasn't to relinquish. I had days of being exhausted. I had days of being frightened of the treatment. I had moments where I would worry I wouldn’t be around to see our daughters grow up (but those were so brief I hadly noticed them).

I have lived to see our oldest daughter marry. And I have had the joy of 11 years since my brush with death. When the day comes that death does find me, I will know I had a part of picking when. You will too. Don't dismiss death, it is real, but don’t let the idea overwhelm you. Put it on the shelf where it belongs. Allow it to get dusty and moldy and old, for about another 50 or so years. Live boldly in today. Hold on to life with both hands and all you body, mind and soul. It seems to me that is the best and only way to wage this battle.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I can't remember my username or password, so I'll just have to be anonymous. It's Shannon and it's very early in the morning and as usual, I'm up before the rest of my family. I enjoy this quiet time in the morning to gather my wits and enjoy a cup of soy coffee (just kidding, do they even make soy coffee?). I have been thinking and thinking of some profound bit of wisdom to make you feel better about your dream. I think Tamwitch is right (would love to meet her one day)about putting death on the shelf and getting on with your battle. Knowing it's there is enough for you to "live boldly in today." Giving death too much attention will detract from your climb. Every day that passes and with each new carabiner, you are closer and closer to health. You are doing everything in your power to get well and you have soooo many people rooting and praying for you. I'm thankful that you are surrounded with love and support. Your Kahlil Gibran quote is right on. I love him!!! This experience will deepen every single ounce of joy you feel for the rest of your long life.
I love you and wish that I could be more articulate about my thoughts so that I could impart that to you. Not everyone is a Pulitzer prize winning author like you!
Love,
Shan

Anonymous said...

Julie,

When I received my diagnosis in December, the first thing out of the doctor's mouth was "we do not talk about cure for people with your kind of cancer" BAM...In her nice doctor way, she told me to pack it up and go die neatly in the corner. I had to inform her that I am a stubborn person who has no desire to die from cancer. I told her I want to be, and will be the person who LIVES with cancer, not dies from it. Most of the doctors do not believe that in their soul, but I ultimatley do not have to answer to them. I cry, I cry A LOT for the EXACT reasons you do: my five beautiful children, my husband, my family, my friends. I also cry because as you will see, there is no more beauty of the human soul, the human spirit than you will experience through this battle. People WILL amaze you, let them, and LIVE with them, through them an because of them. Love comin' to ya from the right side of the country honey!!! WE HAVE your back!

Bernadette

PS, I agree, the port thing...not so much of a non event, unless you are a professional boxer used to being punched hard in the chest!!