Monday, April 23, 2007

Nutritional Advice

I have had soooooo many people ask me about what I am eating these days to get/stay healthy. Luckily, I found a fabulous nutritionist, Sharon, who is affiliated with the cancer center and who knows a ridiculous amount about food and the way that the body processes it. She has given me loads of advice on what to eat or not to eat, but her recommendations can basically be boiled down to three principles:

1) Eat foods that come from the Earth, not from a manufacturing plant. (Yup -- this means NO refined sugars! Darn!! And it also means no more Diet Coke for me -- double darn!!!)
2) The fewer the ingredients on the package AND the more natural the ingredients, the better. This is where "organic" comes in, since whether it's labeled or not, pesticides are an ingredient that we and our families are ingesting.
3) When you sit down to breakfast, lunch or dinner, 75% of what you see on your plate should be fruits and/or vegetables.

These are such simple principles to remember, and since they apply to everyone (cancer or no cancer), I thought I would pass them along. If you want more details than this, shoot me an email and I'll elaborate.

p.s. If you want to learn more about why refined sugar is bad, check out the link below. In particular, note the sentence that reads: "Refined sugar has been stripped of all its nutritional value during processing, resulting in an end product that more resembles a pharmaceutical than a food source." Yuck!! And, by the way, this company makes yum-yum-yummy vegan carrot cake (I had one for my birthday):
http://www.fabesnatural.com/truth_about_sugar.htm.

4 comments:

carol duster said...

oh, yes, I want all the details :)
please, if you have it easily available (don't add more work to your day) send the details to
momduster@aol.com
Thanks!
Blessings,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Julie, we raised Zan and Grant as vegans for many years, only organic fruits and vegtables were in our shopping cart. It got away from us as they became social, ate at their friend's home and parents would take them out for a special treat to "McDonalds. It was and still is a battle. I only write this so you can formulate a strategy for Luke and Kyle.

Bless you Julie, many prayers are coming your way from Colorado.

Anonymous said...

We've been ingedient-label readers and an organic-only household since my own battle with cancer, when I decided to become an advocate for my health and my family's nutrition and health. I like to joke that Duncan is probably the only six year old around who'll lecture folks on the dangers of pesticides and hydrogenated oils. He cooks with me in the kitchen and we talk about the ingredients - what's good for us, what's not so good. Our vegetable garden provides another classroom about nutrition. It's amazing how much children learn and absorb when they are exposed to it regularly. It gives me faith for this generation :-)
-Isae

Anonymous said...

p.s. I wanted to share the url for the Organic Consumers Association. They have a bi-weekly newsletter that's really good at staying on top of organic-related legislation/changing standards, FDA news, GMO/cloning developments -- factors that directly contribute to the escalating rate of cancer -- as well as handy tips on buying organic. This is an organization well worth supporting. Go to the homepage and click on "subscribe."
http://www.organicconsumers.org/

-Isae