Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Chemo Cycle Delayed

Everyone keeps telling me how great I look despite all of my treatments, but looks are deceiving! I might still look pretty normal on the outside, but apparently, my insides are taking quite a beating.....

I was supposed to have my fifth chemo cycle this morning, but unfortunately, it got delayed because my platelet count dropped too low -- it's only 66 and Dr Gullion said that it needs to be at least 75 in order to proceed (I'm not sure what "75" or "66" mean exactly, but I do remember that when I started this whole adventure my count was somewhere in the 200's) So he sent me home to rest and recuperate for another week and I'll go back in next Monday for treatment #5, assuming that my platelets recover.

The good news is that my white blood count did rebound a bit. Apparently, the Neupogen shots did the trick! If you remember, my WBC had dropped to 1.0 last week (1.5 is the low end of what's acceptable) but this week it was up to 2.3. Woo Hoo!! Go E-coli!! This was particularly great news seeing as Kyle has his first cold of the season. Poor little guy had a fever of 101.5 last night! Needless to say, I am trying my best to steer clear, but it's heartbreaking to be a mom with a sick kid and not be able to give the little guy a big huge hug!

So now I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with myself this week -- I was all geared up for this to be a "hell" week and now I have another week off. Hmmm...not a bad dilemma to have, eh? Actually, on the one hand, I am thrilled, since this obviously means another week of feeling good, but on the other hand I am sad to be thrown off course. I had my mind set on October 15th as being my last day of treatment -- it was really helpful for me to have that date as a "mental anchor" -- and that's obviously no longer the case. Plus, Pete and I had foolishly planned a number of fun weekend adventures around my chemo schedule and now our plans are all messed up.

But it is what it is. There is nothing that I can do about it. And I trust that Dr Gullion is making all the right decisions to get me through this whole experience in one piece, which is the most important thing in the end.

No comments: