Thursday, May 24, 2007

Good News

I received two pieces of good news in the last week:

1) I had a mammogram a couple weeks ago and the results were completely fine. Phew! Again, I don't think that I could handle getting another cancer diagnosis at this point, so I am incredibly relieved to have these additional cancer screening tests come back normal. You might wonder why I needed a mammogram after undergoing both a CT and PET scan (both of which supposedly test for cancer). Well, apparently, neither of these scans are as accurate as a mammogram and so, in an effort to identify any and all cancer that might be floating around my body, my doctors had recommended that I have a mammogram done as well. Whatever -- I am just glad that it came back normal!

2) We met with a genetic counselor a couple weeks ago as well. Apparently, there is a genetic condition called Lynch Syndrome which predisposed a person to not only colorectal cancer (people who test positive for Lynch have an 80% likelihood of getting colorectal cancer in their lifetime -- yikes!) but also ovarian, uterine, and a handful of other cancers. It was important to be tested for this condition prior to surgery since if I had tested positive I would have opted to remove both my ovaries and my uterus at the same time. Not a pretty thought but much prettier than the thought of going through another cancer later!! Luckily, the first of two tests came back negative. We are still awaiting results from the second test -- I should know by next Wednesday when we meet with the surgeon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been thinking about you Julie. Good news on the tests! Got my fingers and tows crossed for good news today.