Saturday, June 16, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Hallelujah! I am finally home and am in a complete state of bliss!

After proving to the doctors that I could finally pee on my own, I was discharged late yesterday afternoon and had a wonderful, tearful reunion with my family. Last night, I had the BEST night's sleep that I think I have ever had -- God, hospital beds are just disgusting!! -- and have spent today slowly (repeat, sloooowly) acclimating to being home. I have to mention as well that my complete superstar of a husband spent every single night with me in the hospital and his bed was even worse that mine (it was a plastic, fold-out chair that was only about as wide as a cot). It was so nice to have him there with me; hospitals are dreadful and I would have been so lonely and sad without him. Instead, we spent each night watching funny Friends and Seinfeld reruns that our friends bought us and talking about life.

Needless to say, Luke and Kyle were thrilled to see me. I spent half of the morning just snuggled on the couch with Luke. The honesty of young children is so touching....as we were snuggling, Luke kept trying to re-create the face that he had when he found out that I was coming home. It bordered on almost tears, almost nervous, and very excited. He also admitted that it seemed like I was only gone for a day and this made me sooo happy! I have my parents, my in-laws, and a handful of close friends who had him over for play dates to thank for this. Without their constant love and attention, our children would have been really miserable (and possibly even scarred) by my hospital stay. Instead, it went by in a flash for them and they seem just as wacky, loving, and silly as ever.

So now that I am home, I am on a mission to heal this body of mine. I have a month to go before I start chemo again and man, oh, man am I ever sore! I still have a couple incision points that cause stabbing pains if I move the wrong way and so I am moving ever so slowly to avoid feeling like I am splitting open. But I did just get back from my first slow, short walk through the neighborhood and it felt great. Pete suggested that I measure my progress each day by how far into the neighborhood I can get. I love this idea!! We live in a wonderful neighborhood filled with amazing people who have been so supportive of us during this past few months (bringing meals, making weekly batches of "Magical Mineral Broth" soup, walking our dog, planting a special garden, etc) and so I feel like it will be my tribute to each of them as I make my way, house by house, through the neighborhood.

Well, I hear the sounds of Luke upstairs. He must be home from his birthday party. So I am off to go hug him again and tell him how much I love him. Ohhhh, I am so happy to be home!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can think of no better place to recover! You are a champ! We love you.
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Happy homecoming! You are one tough and incredible girl.