Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Little Healers

When I was in the hospital last week, our nanny brought Kyle in to visit me one day while Luke was in school. They stayed for a couple hours and when the time came for them to leave, I offered to walk with them to the elevator (which Kyle very humorously refers to as "the alligator" - ha, ha!)

As we exited my room, I glanced down the hallway and noticed that there was another older gentleman (who was clearly a patient as well) walking gingerly toward us. At this point, Kyle insisted on pushing his stroller himself (and if you've ever seen a 2-year-old pushing a stroller you'll know that they don't tend to walk in a very straight line) and so I was nervous that Kyle would crash right into this man as we passed. And since the man was obviously walking slowly to avoid pain, I wasn't sure whether he would be upset or nervous as well at having a 2-year-old freewheeling down the corridor towards him.

Luckily as we got within talking distance, however, the man looked down at Kyle with amusement and joked, "Hello there, little fella. Are you a patient here as well?" Kyle pressed on oblivious to the comment, but without skipping a beat, our nanny answered, "No, he's actually a healer."

I love that!!
It's so true!! Kyle (and Luke) are my little healers. They need only to lay their little hands across my body or wrap their miniature arms around my neck or plant a tiny little kiss on my lips or start laughing their adorable, infectious laugh and I feel miraculously better. If only I could figure out a way to bottle their healing powers so that I could share it with all the other patients who don't have children in their lives, I am pretty confident that we could help cure many more cancers or at least make the treatment infinitely more bearable...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful.