Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My Screen Debut

My television debut screening yesterday went great. I actually ended up playing a much bigger role than I imagined. I thought going in that I would just be an "extra" in the background while they interviewed Dr Gullion, but there were many times that the (enormous!) camera was directed solely at me. Yikes -- it was definitely nerve-wracking!

We basically staged a mock check-up appointment. Dr Gullion asked me questions about how I was feeling after my last treatment and he talked about next steps in my monitoring plan. We also talked about my experience regarding the integrative medical options that the cancer center offers (such as acupuncture, massage, guided imagery, etc) since this is really the focus of the work that Rachel Remen supports and which she has mentored Dr Gullion on establishing. Apparently, this is also the award that Dr Remen will be receiving -- it's an award that recognized the top six individuals who are leaders in the field of integrative medicine. During the interview, the reporter asked Dr Gullion if he ever could have imagined creating an integrative medical practice 40+ years ago when he was going through medical school at Columbia University. Dr Gullion said that the idea of combining Eastern and Western medicine and alternative therapies was completely unheard of in those days. He very much credits Rachel Remen and the other recipients (who, by the way, will also include Dr Andrew Weil, the nutritionist whom I have mentioned previously) in bringing integrative medicine to the forefront.

Anyway, the camera man taped us for about an hour, but of course, the whole segment is primarily about Dr Rachel Remen (they were leaving to go film her after us) and will probably only last about 15 minutes tops and so much of what they filmed with Dr Gullion and myself will inevitably end up being edited out. But who knows -- maybe my 2-seconds of coverage will launch my new career! Hee hee!

Anyway, the camera crew thought that the piece might be airing this Friday morning so if you have a chance tune in or TIVO it. Again, it's on Good Morning America. I'll let you know if I hear confirmation before then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WooWHOOOO! I am proud to know you!