Sunday, November 4, 2007

Good Morning America

I got a call from Dr Gullion last week that totally took me by surprise. Usually the nurses call me - I never get a call directly from him! It turns out he had a favor to ask of me. Apparently, his "life mentor" is Dr. Rachel Remen, the author of the book Kitchen Table Wisdom which I mentioned in prior blogs. I had no idea that Dr Gullion even knew her. I absolutely love her! Her book is one of the big reasons that I survived through all of the uncertainty and fear that clouded the first few months of my treatment. She is truly an inspirational and amazing person and an incredible writer. The stories in her book helped me tremendously as I grappled through mind-numbing fear to make sense of my diagnosis.

Anyway, she is apparently being honored with a very prestigious life-achievement award and Good Morning America is going to feature her in an upcoming segment. As part of the show, they want to include video footage of some of her proteges, including Dr Gullion. The favor that he asked me was to come and be the patient that he is "treating" while the video taping is going on. How fun! Of course I told him that I would be happy to help -- who wouldn't want to be on Good Morning America, plus I love the idea of being associated (even in this minuscule way) with Dr Remen. And so tomorrow morning I am off to my national TV screen debut taping. Hopefully I don't end up on the cutting room floor!

By the way, my dad thinks that it's good karma that Dr Gullion asked me. He thinks that Dr Gullion probably prefers a healthy, vibrant-looking patient who has a great chance at surviving, rather than some near-death, crawling-through-the-door patient. If that's the case, I am thrilled to be chosen and happy to oblige!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit! You're going to be famous. I know they'll end up handing you the microphone and doing an interview with you. You'll be running CBS (or is it ABC?) before you know it. Can't wait to see it. Let us know when it will air.
We're so proud of you.
Shan