Monday, July 9, 2007

Four Mile Hike

I just got back from taking a walk to Tennessee Valley Beach (which is almost 4 miles round-trip) and I feel tired, but great!! There is such an enormous part of my happiness and well-being that is directly linked to my ability to move my body. This has always been true for me. In fact, I remember in high school my mom would gently, but firmly, urge me to go out for a run whenever she sensed that I was getting grumpy or agitated. She recognized even before I did that getting outdoors and moving my body was incredibly therapeutic for me. And so I think that one of the hardest parts of these past few weeks post-surgery has been the fact that I have not been able to be very active. It has really only been in the past week that I have felt energetic enough to begin walking very far.

My doctor actually warned me early on that I should think about developing other ways to relieve stress. He knew that there would be times like this when I would not be able to be active and I think that he worried about what this would do to my emotions. And I have had friends and family who have cautioned me to take it easy on my body as well. They worried that I might over-extend myself and compromise my ability to heal. But I can be pretty darn stubborn and this time was no exception: I basically ignored everyone's advice! I feel like I know my body pretty darn well. I know what it can handle and I have always believed that I will prevail over any surgery or treatment that gets thrown at me. And I was right -- four miles after only four weeks of recovery -- woo hoo!!

Maybe someday I will be in the unfortunate position of truly needing to find other less-physical "therapeutic" hobbies, but I am not crossing that bridge until I get to it.

No comments: