Sunday, July 1, 2007

Overwhelming Fatigue

I know that it has been days since I last wrote anything. Every day this past week, I would wake up and think about writing...I would think about the fact that so many people are thoughtfully and faithfully checking my blog every day to see how I am faring and that I really should write an update on my progress; something, anything, just so that you know how I am doing. But then, as I would lay on the couch thinking about getting up to write, an staggering sense of fatigue would overwhelm me.

I am so tired of having cancer. I am so tired of this climb. I am tired of not feeling well and being in constant pain. I am tired of not being able to go anywhere without having someone else here to drive me. I am tired of feeling like a lousy mom and a lousy wife. I am tired of not being able to run around and play with my children and I am tired of being too tired at the end of the day to even snuggle with my husband. I am tired of worrying about every single thing I eat and whether or not it's healthy for me and whether or not it will cause a blockage in my recently-operated-on-intestines (yes, this is my latest thing to stress about, because I don't have enough things to worry about already!). I am tired of not having something in my life (e.g., work) that is intellectually challenging. And I am tired of being too tired to even think about anything intellectual. I am just so sick and tired of having cancer -- I want my old life back!

Needless to say, I have had a really hard time motivating myself to get back on my blog and write. Besides the fact that I am (obviously) tired, there is also really not much to new to report -- every day feels like the same slow-motion repeat of the one before. I am gradually recovering and getting around a bit easier every day, but I am still nowhere close to where I was before. Some days I do too much and the next day I am confined to the couch again popping pain-killers every few hours, but overall, I am slowly getting better and I can tell that my body is healing.

Emotionally, though, I feel weaker than I have since this whole ordeal started. I don't want to start chemo again. The last time I started the chemo (back in March) I was in full-blown "fighting mode". My body felt strong and I was ready to take on any chemo drugs the doctors threw at me; I felt mentally prepared to direct the drugs wherever they were most needed in my body. I felt ready to fight the cancer with all my might. But now, I feel like I have been run over by a tractor. I feel so physically weak and so mentally exhausted. The surgery was so much harder than I ever expected. It took so much out of me and the thought of starting chemo again in just 9 days is overwhelming. How in the hell am I going to survive this?? I have already lost about 25 pounds since February and, if this chemo round is anything like the last, I know that I'll lose even more. I already feel so weak -- how can I possibly do this??

But at the same time, I wonder, how can I not?? I cannot imagine finding out two or three years from now that the cancer has come back; that somehow there was a straggler cancer cell that somehow survived everything we have thrown at it already and went to to proliferate. And I cannot imagine thinking that I might have prevented the relapse had I only done one more round of chemo. I couldn't live with myself if that were to happen! I couldn't look my children in the eye and tell them that there was more that I could have done, but that I didn't feel up to it. And so I have no choice...I must do the chemo. There is only one path to follow up this mountain if I want to live a life of no regrets.

I go back to the doctor this Friday for one last check-in before the chemo starts on Tuesday of the next week. Somehow, someway, I need to find the strength within myself in the next few days to begin climbing this last passage of my mountain...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

You will find the strength! It will come. It takes time to recover from major surgery. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are amazing and doing great! Don't worry about those of us who have become addicts to the blog! We can detox if we need. You need to save your strenght for your fight!

Anonymous said...

You can do it Julie! You will click yourself into focused mode that will allow you to do what you need to do. Then you will have no fear of the nasty BITCH coming back around. You will be nailing the door shut on her ugly face forever!