Sunday, July 25, 2010

No Need to Fear -- All is Great!

I posted the poem below -- entitled When Death Comes -- in response to the recent passing of my dear friend's father, who died from cancer. I have known him for years and know that this poem is a very good reflection of how he felt about life and so, after reading it, I sent it to my friend. And because it is also a reflection of how I feel about life and death, I decided to also post it here. Unfortunately, some people read this entry and were afraid -- because I offered no explanation -- that this was a reflection of my current situation. One friend of my father's even called him and said, "I have a very delicate question to ask....is everything alright with Julie?" I am so sorry if I caused any alarm! Thankfully, I am happy to report that I am doing fabulous. I am healthier and happier than ever and keeping super busy this summer with the kids and work. All in all, life is great!

I wish that I had more time to write...my life has taken many wonderful twists and turns since I ended cancer treatment almost 3 years ago. I am now Executive Director for a cancer-related non-profit in Marin (where we live) and I am partnering with my oncologist, Dr David Gullion, to open a cancer healing center in Marin. It's been a long and interesting process (that I often describe as "riding a roller coaster in the dark"), but we are making slow and steady progress, which feels great. If I am every lucky enough to have an extra hour or so to sit down and write more, I absolutely will because I have learned so much about what "healing" really means. Until then, please know that life is good. I hope the same is true of each of you who still faithfully read my blog.

No comments: