Sunday, February 25, 2007

Symptoms of Colorectal Cancer

Many of you have written to me asking me what symptoms I had that prompted me to go in for a colonoscopy. Since anyone who is reading this blog is, by definition, someone whom I care about I thought I would share this information with everyone rather than responding individually -- since if I can spare any of you the nightmare that we are going through, I would be thrilled. Here is a list of symptoms that you will find on the cancer.gov website for colorectal cancer:
  • A change in bowel habits
  • Diarrhea, constipation, or feeling that the bowel does not empty completely
  • Blood (either bright red or very dark) in the stool
  • Stools that are narrower than usual
  • General abdominal discomfort (frequent gas pains, bloating, fullness, and/or cramps)
  • Weight loss with no known reason
  • Constant tiredness
  • Nausea and vomiting
I had the first 3 symptoms. Unfortunately for me, when I mentioned these to my OB/GYN two years ago, he attributed these symptoms to simple hemmoroids due to my pregnancy. And when I mentioned them again 6 months later, he attributed them to hemmoroids due to breastfeeding. And so it wasn't until the symptoms persisted 6+ months after I stopped breastfeeding that I finally sought a second opinion from my cousin and his wife.
The scariest thing for me is that, other than these symptoms, I feel great. I work out all the time, I have lots of energy, I rarely get sick, etc. And so it seems so incredible to me that I could feel this way and yet have stage 3 and possibly stage 4 cancer.

I could spend the rest of my life wondering "what if"...what if my doctor had been more concerned...what if he had suggested that I get further tests done when I first mentioned this to him...what if I had been less scared about having a colonoscopy...what if...what if...but I would drive myself completely crazy and I don't have an ounce of energy to spare right now worrying about "what if". The fact is that this is my reality now and I just need to figure out the best possible way to beat it.

Please don't be afraid to have a colonscopy done -- they put you out completely (or at least my doctor did) and so you don't remember a thing, and it could save your life.

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

You are absolutely right! I've had the "pleasure" of having had 3 colonoscopies; the 1st my Junior year in high school and my last one when I turned 40. They've definitely improved the procedure and I don't remember a thing from my last one!

Thanks for your honesty, Julie!

Lots of love,

Deirdre